14 October 2008

Fall flavor in the Kettle Moraine.

This is what it looks like while standing at the highest level at the Parnell Exploratory Tower. My first experience here was back in college, when a running buddy of mine declared this one of the most sacred fall experiences. Back then we called it Parnell Lookout Tower, but whatever...semantics.
It is, indeed, breathtaking. Even though I was here two years ago, I never bore of it. And apparently, neither does anyone else. The place was packed. It is considered a State Park, which means you have to pay for your experience and there was a line of cars full of people willing to do so. Being pressed for time, I wasn't sure if I should wait or not. But, I had just driven a full hour to get here and decided there was no way that I was leaving without getting atop that tower.
The tower isn't the only cool aspect of the park. Two years ago, I worked third shift and decided, off the cuff after work, to take a little road trip. The place was empty and I was able to also take a hike on the trails in the forest. It was one of the most peaceful experiences I've ever had.
Unfortunately, this last time, the park was swarming with people, bees and ladybugs. It's cool to know that so many people are taking advantage of our state beauty, though.
Coincidentally, it was also about two years that I bought my first Wisconsin Atlas and Gazeteer. I had had my eye on it for so long. Every time I went into some gas station, it would be among the other maps and it called to me. I'd peak at it, adore it, covet having one near me during every driving occasion, but concluded that $19 was just a crazy amount to charge for some "map." After I finally made the plunge andd purchaed it, I wished I would have succumb earlier. It is a wealth of information on all the natural wonders that exist in our fair state. It's an amazing resource.
My goal was to just pick out various destinations that I had never been to before and just...go. The concept is a wonderful one. However, the last few years, it's gotten pretty pricey to just drive around for the hell of it. I have recently decided that it is the closest opportunity that I have for a vacation, so I will justify it in that context.
For anyone who is willing to splurge a bit on gas and entry fee into the park...which was $5/hr or $10/day, I highly recommend the trip. As much as I love my pictures, they truly don't do this adventure any justice. Bon Voyage!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: